Monday, May 21, 2012

The Kickboxer


“Then all…went out to him and were all baptized by him in the Jordon River, confessing their sins.” –Mark 1:5

I ran across a retired kick-boxer the other day on a quiet downtown street. I happened to be taking a walk with my family when my eyes made contact with this other man. I smiled and said how are you doing?  He responded in a friendly manner indicating he was fine and as things would be we began a conversation. He illustrated graphically the injuries he suffered as a result of kick-boxing which lead to his retirement. I then changed the conversation to the afterlife. We went through God’s law looking at it as a mirror for him to see himself as God does. After examining a few he began to justify himself and continued to declare his goodness. I pleaded with his conscience and asked if he was the least bit concerned about his eternal destiny. No, he responded, Pastor So-and-so told me I’m going to heaven and he baptized me.

What a sad thing. This man is trusting in baptism to save him and is convinced of his salvation on the word of a pastor who knows not the condition of this man’s soul. Baptism does not bring about salvation. It is an act of obedience in response to God’s grace. No matter how many times this man went under the waters of baptism, if there is no confession of sins then something is dreadfully wrong. 



Do not be too quick to declare someone saved. You may make a false convert with a heart of stone.



http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_free_images/0420-0907-2418-1851_u_s_army_martial_artist_kicking_a_competitor_in_the_face_m.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment