Friday, May 25, 2012

Teach them...while you walk by the way

My youngest overheard a conversation between my wife and I about a friend’s upcoming baby shower. This excited my five year old daughter. She asked if she could go. I don't know, I said, we will have to see the invitation. Oh, she said in a dejected tone. Do you know what an invitation? No, my daughter replied. It’s a written letter letting you know you can come to the party. You can't invite yourself to come. It’s similar to God's book of life in heaven. In it is the name of everyone God has decided to allow to come into heaven. You can't just invite yourself.
 
This may not have been the deepest or most complete lesson but it’s what popped into my head. It only takes a minute to tie everyday conversation to the things of God. This is good because it not only teaches your children but helps them to understand that talking about spiritual things is perfectly normal and not confined to Sunday morning. If you never instill this you are teaching them to compartmentalize religion. This is exactly what the world wants. Keep your religion to yourself they say. I say be obedient to God’s word and take responsibility for teaching your children bible doctrine when you walk, when you rise, and when you lie down.

No comments:

Post a Comment